Sir Cowasji Jehangir,2nd Bart
Sir Cowasji Jehangir,Second Baronet (1879-1962) was the founder of Jehangir Art Gallery and a leading citizen of his time. He made notable contributions to the business life of the city as an industrialist and banker,to the political life of the country and as a great patron of art.
Established in 1952,Jehangir Art Gallery is more than a prime exhibition space. Located in South Mumbai,it has been closely associated with the development of contemporary Indian art.
Jehangir Art Gallery hosts exhibitions by select painters,sculptors,print-makers,craftsmen,ceramicists,photographers and weavers. It regularly holds interesting lecture programmes,conducts workshops &discussions on various forms of art,laying stress on education for both the academically inclined and laypersons.
Lodged in the historic Kala Ghoda neighborhood of South Mumbai is the Jehangir Art Gallery,one of Mumbai’s premier and oldest art institutions. The landmark gallery has hosted exhibitions by India’s leading artists,and has continually served as a prestigious platform for budding students since its establishment in 1952.
Jehangir Art Gallery was founded with donations given by Sir Cowasji Jehangir,2nd Baronet,at a time when Mumbai had few institutions to promote its indigenous artists. The gallery,named after Sir Coswaji’s late son,Jehangir,became a regular haunt of many aspiring and struggling artists soon after its inauguration in 1952 by then-Chief Minister,Mr. B.G. Kher. Frequenters of the gallery included the likes of M.F. Husain and S.H. Raza – artists who spearheaded India’s contemporary arts movement.
Jehangir’s establishment in Kala Ghoda contributed to the neighborhood’s evolution as a center for arts and culture. With the National Gallery of Modern Arts,The Arts Trust,numerous art galleries,pavement art stalls,designer boutiques and cafés playing second home to artists from the city,Kala Ghoda is dubbed the ‘art district’ of Mumbai today.